Timothy Pont’s map of the River Nethy
Pont’s map shows that the River Nethy has carried the anglicised name since the 16th century, the Scottish Gaelic form being Abhainn Neithich.
The River Nethy is a tributary of the River Spey. It rises deep in the Cairngorm Mountains and flows northwards through Strath Nethy to Nethy Bridge and the mighty Spey.
Thomas Telford’s bridge
The River Nethy then passes through the village where Telford’s 3 arched bridge crosses the river giving the name to the village. The bridge was built in 1810 and is one of four that Telford built in Nethy Bridge.
Tributaries of the River Nethy
Numerous burns feed into the Nethy, the largest is the Dorback Burn which a mile above Nethy Bridge.
The Duack Burn runs to the south side of the village joining the Spey a mile or so further on.
Muckle Spate of 1829
There was a huge flood in 1829 just after Nethy’s bridge was built. The flood did terrible damage to the whole of the north-east of Scotland but in Nethy Bridge it destroyed one of the bridge’s three arches.