Lettoch Farmhouse was built in 1898 by the Seafield Estate for John Macaulay, who had just taken over the farm of Lettoch from the Ross family.
The Macaulay family have remained there ever since, having bought the farm from the Estate in 1978. However, a plaque above the door informs us that an earlier house was erected on the site in 1739 by “LG”. This is Ludovic Grant, who is mentioned in several references in Forsyth’s book, most notably in the 1740s, when he was requesting money to build a bridge across the Dorback opposite his dwelling house.
There have been a number of bridges there since then. The present concrete one was built in the 1960s, replacing a wooden one which had been built by German prisoners-of-war during World War 1.
Lettoch Cottage appears to be of a much earlier design than the farmhouse, with much thicker walls, but the two parts of the L-shape were built at separate times.
During the early 1900s, the Macaulay family would move into the cottage for the summer months while letting the farmhouse to families, often from Edinburgh, who rented the house for a month or more at a time.
At one time there was a carding mill, for preparing sheep fleeces for spinning, beside the Dorback, just above the houses. There are also the ruins of several buildings on the moor above the farm fields.
Jane Lilley 16 February 2010
Nethy Bridge Community Centre
We are grateful to the listed businesses and organisations, without which it would not be possible to run a community website.
A charitable company limited by guarantee
Registered charity number: SC 012389
Company registration number: SC 379387