Castle Roy is a 12th century fortress set on a small glacial mound to the north of the village of Nethy Bridge. It has been associated with the clans of Mar, Comyn, Stewart and Grant. In 1560 the area came under the fiefdom of Clan Grant who remain the feudal clan of this region today.
With its walls still standing 25 feet high, the castle is a simple, irregular four-sided stronghold which has remained unaltered over the centuries. Carbon dating of 1190-1220 indicates that it is amongst the oldest masonry fortifications in Scotland
The main architectural features are a tower on the north-western corner which has the only remaining window lintel. The main entrance archway is in the centre of the north wall, with a small entrance next to the tower on the west wall. The west wall also contains the Garderobe, a two-story latrine facility for the garrison.
The location of Castle Roy is on the B970 road between Grantown on Spey and Coylumbridge, just north of Nethy Bridge and next to the Old Kirk.
See our website for more information.
Nethy Bridge Community Centre
We are grateful to the listed businesses and organisations, without which it would not be possible to run a community website.
A charitable company limited by guarantee
Registered charity number: SC 012389
Company registration number: SC 379387