Timothy Pont’s map shows that the River Nethy has carried the anglicised name since the 16th century, the Scottish Gaelic form being Abhainn Neithich.
Tributaries of the River Nethy
Numerous burns feed into the Nethy, the largest is the Dorback Burn which is a mile above Nethy Bridge.
The Duack Burn runs to the south side of the village joining the Spey a mile or so further on.
There was a huge flood in 1829 just after Nethy’s bridge was built. The flood did terrible damage to the whole of the north-east of Scotland but in Nethy Bridge it destroyed one of the bridge’s three arches.
Thomas Telford’s bridge
The River Nethy then passes through the village where Telford’s 3 arched bridge crosses the river giving the name to the village. The bridge was built in 1810 and is one of four that Telford built in Nethy Bridge.
Call in at the Visitor Centre for details of the path network in and around Nethy Bridge
Open daily 9.30 – 5.00 throughout the year, weather permitting
See events calendar for Summer Talks
Nethy Bridge Community Centre
We are grateful to the listed businesses and organisations, without which it would not be possible to run a community website.
A charitable company limited by guarantee
Registered charity number: SC 012389
Company registration number: SC 379387